Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am short.

Betcha didn't know that, did you? I don't mind being short. I really don't. It feels very normal to me to have to look up at everyone when I want to carry on a conversation. The only thing I don't like about it is that because I have a very young-looking face, being short just adds to the fact that I easily look like I'm still in high school and worrying about whether I should wear the blue sweater or the red sweater today--and oh, maybe that boy in my math class likes me.

I feel like if you see me from the back, you automatically assume I'm still 16 and idolizing my fresh new driver's license (or maybe you think I'm twelve, in which case, I have nothing more to say about that).

One comment I get a lot--that is, everywhere I go--goes something like this:

Person A: Wow! You are really young!

Me: (Laughs) Yes, I know (hoping the person won't ask the next question that only some are polite enough to refrain from).

Person A: (Looks at the two kids I have with me and debates whether I'm the mom or the nanny). So, how old are you?

Me: (thinks briefly of claiming I just have a good plastic surgeon) Oh, I'm 22.

Person A now has multiple scenarios running through his or her mind: That I had the kids by accident and possibly had a shotgun marriage because of it (this is if they check for a wedding ring); that I am in way over my head and my kids will grow up to be juvenile delinquents (this could possibly be true); or that I am either some sort of crazy anomaly or just stupid.

After all this (quick) thinking, they come out with something like: ...Oh! Well, aren't these vegetables/clothes/dog food a great price?

Sometimes they seem to feel the need to give me some advice. I try to not assume this is because of my age, but it probably is. Sometimes they feel the need to talk about how wonderful motherhood is, which is something they would say regardless of my age, I would think. But sometimes they say it in a very particular way--that is, eying me as though to say: don't think about reverting back to your partying days just because this gets hard.

For as big of a deal I am making this sound, I really do take it all with a grain of salt. I am confident in my choices; I know they were right for me. I also feel very fortunate because I know many people out there who would make better parents than I, but who are finding having kids to be a little more difficult than expected, for whatever reason. I hope my age isn't a slap in the face to them, but I understand if it is.

I get a little picky about whether strangers are judging me based on my age or on my actions. Does this matter? No. But I think it bothers me because if you see me making a mistake with my children, I would rather you think "Oh, she shouldn't do X because of Y," not "Oh, she's young and immature and doesn't know any better." That's my oldest-child-syndrome pride for you.

But the one thing that makes me laugh is evidence of how youth-obsessed our culture it. For instance, you would never find me (or anyone else with a basic sense of decency) saying to a mom, "Wow, you look really old! How old are you?" I think we can all guess how that conversation would go. But it is okay to ask someone that bluntly about being young. I understand all the reasons why, I do, and I'm happy to accept them. I just wish people would realize that maybe I feel as self-conscious about my young age as many people do about their old(er) age.

(And for the record, just because I'm 22, I don't think people in their 30's are old.)

Someday I'll have wrinkles and gray hair and wonder why I ever thought so much about how I am so young and already at this stage of life. But until then, I'll indulge myself, and practice the decorum it takes to smile warmly and reply, "yes, I'm 22."

5 comments:

Melissa and Aaron said...

Totally love this post and can totally sympathize. I am now 27and still get mistaken for a 17 year old....constantly. The even funnier part is that Aaron is mistaken for being 18. (We're doing well with the 10 years younger thing.) So, this makes for some funny and interesting stories of people thinking we are brother and sister, etc. We've decided we should start full on making out next time someone thinks that. Now, that would shock 'em! I know we'll appreciate it when we're older, but sometimes it does get annoying. And for the the record, totally not a slap in the face:)

aaron and meg facer said...

This made me chuckle because I know how it feels! People are always suprised when they find out I'm married. The conversation goes like this: "You're married?! Wow, how old are you? Man, I thought you were 17!"

If my opinion counts for anything, you're a very patient, gentle mom--skills that many 35+ year old mothers don't have! Rock on young looking mothers!

Mack, the future billion-dollar author said...

I don't have problems with the kids and married thing, but I don't like how every one judges things based on age. (like you said in 12th paragraph...wait this is what you're talking about..right?) Anyway, it's the most common bigotry. It's even expected! I hate it when people think that just because I'm a kid and they're an adult, they can boss me around, or that I'm stupid(well, more so then them), or my opinions don't matter even though I could most likely talk themselves in circles.

Unknown said...

You are definitely experiencing a big city phenom. I am glad that they don't automatically ask if you are the nanny. You are a great mom and your youth give you a greater chance of having good health when your kids have kids, etc. BTW, the title to the post made me laugh. out. loud. You are so funny!

RebeckerOnline said...

I've actually had this too! However, once I hit about 34 I suddenly aged about five years and people no longer that I was 24. Of course, the long strands of gray hair are kind of a dead give away. Enjoy it while you can though there will always be comments. I'm not a mother yet, but looking young actually hurt me at work for a while. I should have died my hair gray much earlier to gain respect. (-: Ha. Actually, they've now been informed AND outworked and so credibility has been established. Great post!