Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gettysburg. Or, The Date.

Joel and I recently were able to go to Gettysburg thanks to my wonderful parents (and siblings) who took the kids for a day. We had a lot of fun since it was just the two of us so we could concentrate on the sights rather than keeping a toddler from becoming an all-out hooligan. I think the kids had fun as well, seeing as they are doted on without end whenever they're even within shouting distance of my parents' home.

A year ago Joel and I read the book The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. It is all about the battle of Gettysburg, who the commanders were, what the general feeling of the battle was, and the significance of the battle in the Civil War. It was a fascinating book. Upon completion, we could discuss the commanders, tactics, strategies, failures and successes of the battle with ease. We wanted to visit Gettysburg while all this was fresh in our minds, but we were only able to this past weekend. It was too bad, because we had already forgotten most of what we read.

Had I had time, I think I would have liked to re-read the book. Moral of the story: read up on Gettysburg before you go. It will make all the details make more sense.

This in no way means our trip to Gettysburg was not a success. We enjoyed every minute (though I think I would have enjoyed a trip to a termite museum if it meant I could do it without my kids demanding most of my attention).


Monument to the 12th NY Regiment. You can't tell in this picture, but it looked like a miniature castle, spiral staircase and tower in all.



Very tall tower overlooking some of the fighting grounds.



I don't remember what this was a monument to. Maybe one of the states whose soldiers fought in the war (they had monuments to all those states).


This was the only time I could get Joel to pose. I thought maybe since it was in front of a cannon he would feel all manly, but no such luck.

1 comments:

Natalie Sue said...

A termite museum.... you are hilarious!