I have obviously only been a mother up to the almost-terrible-two's stage, but I think that the newborn stage is one of my very favorite stages, if not my most favorite. I just love everything about these little babies before they begin to discover the world around them.
The nurse in the hospital put it like this, "All she knows right now is your heartbeat". This is so true and it is such a precious thing to me. I can see the minute that I pick her up and cradle her little body close to mine that she feels immediately at home, and I have to admit, I do as well. We've been attached to eachother for the past nine months and I love that we begin our lives together with this bond.
I love how newborns' little legs are constantly tucked up underneath them the same way they were in utero. I love their little sighs, yawns, and stretches. I love how when you disturb their sleep, their little fingers stretch out and their hands extend and tighten for a few seconds. I love the way they play with their tongue, rolling it in and out of their mouth and between their tiny lips.
I love their little wailing cries that have not yet developed into the full-on screams that come in a few weeks. I love the little grunting, smacking, and searching noises they make when they're still asleep but about to wake up out of hunger, and I love that they always collect lint and milk in the creases of their necks. I love that even though they have little muscle strength, the minute you cradle them they find a way to snuggle close to you. I love how their out-of-focus vision makes it so they look around not quite understanding what they're seeing, and how this means they know you by your smell, voice, and touch more than anything else.
I love little Ashley for all these reasons--that this little bundle of wrinkly skin, tiny noises, and sweet helplessnes is all mine, and that I get to share her with the people I love the most in this world. I will love seeing her grow into her role as a little sister, and I love seeing Everett already becoming a loving older brother.
I have been trying to get a picture of the two kids together almost since the day Ashley came home. It is trickier than it looks because as soon as Everett sees the camera, that is all he wants. Why hold a little sister when you can have a shiny piece of technology?

3 comments:
Elise, this is such a beautiful post, it made me cry! You do a great job at doing that to me. :) Oh, but it's all true... I just love the way you write!
I love newborns too! They've always scared me because they have no neck strength and are so vulnerable, but now I know that I can't wait to have another one! I love seeing Katrina learn and grow, but I still regret seeing her getting bigger sometimes.
Yay! Elise I totally agree with everything you said about newborns. I have been thinking those same things everyday. Her crying is starting to wear me out, but I love all the other sounds haha. I'm so glad Joel took paternity leave with you...I bet you need his help with two little ones and you're still recovering. Jeff was going to do that then changed his mind. I better go Jeff is going crazy cause she won't stop crying haha.
Post a Comment