Everett has a new interest, a new passion, a new something that makes him dash into the living room the moment he wakes up and yell "Dah! Dah! Dah! Dah!" until someone takes notice.
Yes, he has begun an almost-obsession with the movie, 101 Dalmations. He just loves this movie. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there are a lot of dogs barking in the movie. Whenever a dog barks outside, whether in the immediate vicinity of our balcony or 8.6 miles away (for all we know), Everett's sensitive ears pick up on the noise and he immediately begins excitedly telling us that, of all things, there is a doggie outside. How many other noteworthy or exciting things are outside we don't know; in this house we are only interested in animals of the canine variety.
Yesterday Joel was watching a movie and Everett decided that he prefers the Dalmations, so he went and turned off the TV, found the VCR remote, and gave it to Joel with a meaningful look on his face. When this didn't prompt Joel to get up and switch movies, Everett began yelling all about the Doggies and how they are "off".
Even though I don't like having Everett watching a lot of TV or movies during the day, I have to admit that with a newborn around here this kind of activity sure does simplify a lot of things. I also have to admit that he has been watching this movie (or parts of it, since he can't sit through the whole thing) more often than I am comfortable with. But then there is a side of me that makes me ask myself why I feel so guilty about letting my toddler watch a movie he really likes; he is happy, safe, and feels loved--all three things that could be tricky to achieve when my attention is focused on another child.
I suppose I'll just console myself with the fact that as we watch, I do try to point out everything I think he'll recognize from real life, and we do try to talk about what is going on. Does this count as a learning experience? I sure hope so, because it has become a staple of his (and my) day.
Pucker Up
4 days ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment