Friday, August 29, 2008

Bits and Pieces

I've thought of a couple of things to write about on here but none of them are really all that related, so I'll just write and see where the words take me. Excited? I bet.

Lately Everett has really been interested in Ashley. He loves it when we stand her up next to him so he can bend down and give her a hug, and he loves it when we lay her on his stomach. When she is in her swing I always catch him halfway on it with her (making the whole thing swing wildly), leaning over to give her kisses on her forehead. The other day he and I were sharing some apple slices and I saw him go over and try to cram one in her mouth. He is always putting food on the tray in her swing, and often if he finds one of her blankets he will bring it over to her and pile it on her. When I am holding Ashley or she is in her swing and Everett finds a pacifier, he loves to bring it over and stuff it in her mouth. He is usually not satisfied with just handing it to me; he wants to make sure she gets it where it is supposed to go.

Usually Ashley sleeps through whatever it is Everett is trying to do to her. She can be peacefully resting in her swing while Everett is throwing a tantrum right next to her, and she won't even twitch an eyelid. I guess this is the beauty of the second (/third/fourth/fifth/...) child. Everett could only sleep in his bed and only if I put him down a specific way. Ashley can sleep whenever, wherever she likes, and she is happy simply if she has gotten enough to eat.

Joel remarked the other day that he can tell Ashley is the second child because I hold her far less than I did Everett. Part of that was that Everett refused to be put down. Thankfully Ashley is happy to just sit and look around most of the time. I know this has a lot to do with temperament but I think it is partially because of her place in our family's "pecking order". If all my babies will be this easy, I could committ right now to having ten.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Elise, all my babies were perfect. Espescially Sydnee and Oakley. But they do get bigger and beastier as you go, so dont comitt to ten.

Tori said...

I think it's your reward for being such a great mother to Everett, who is so energetic and stubborn! Of course, flash forward ten years and he might be the calm one and she might be throwing tantrums, who knows.

I think we got one with a healthy dose of stubbornness. Adam's mom told me he was a perfect baby AND child so I think we all know which side it came from!