Sunday, August 17, 2008

"Totally Trucks"

Friday morning Everett, Ashley, and I attended our city's annual Truck Day. When a good friend of ours recommended it to us, I was excited to go because I knew Everett would really like it since he has been very enthusiastic about trucks lately.

The activity did not disappoint. They had all sorts of trucks out on display, and kids could climb around in every single one of them, honk horns, push buttons, and do all sorts of things. The kids' excitement was charged with amazement and fascination, and Everett was no exception.

When we arrived Everett was given a complimentary plastic construction hat and a trucks coloring book. He was excited about the hat but refused to wear it, instead insisting on carrying it around with him. We walked to where all the trucks were and I watched Everett's attention go a million directions all at once. He was so excited he could do nothing but shout "Wux! Wux! Wux!" and point wildly in all directions. There was so much he was interested in it was a little hard for him to settle on just one truck, so at first he couldn't pick a direction to go and just ran around enthusiastically.
Once he discovered that he could actually climb in the trucks, he was ecstatic. I think his favorite was the mail truck, though he also did enjoy the police prisoner transport vehicle.

Also, whoever it was that set up this event was very smart about it because he or she had the brilliant idea to have a little "show" going on. It consisted of a dump truck, a huge pile of dirt, and a truck with a big shovel (yes, I don't know my truck names. The only labels we care about right now in this house are the ones that say: "TRUCK!!!!"). The smaller truck kept loading dirt into the dump truck, which would then dump it all back out after it was full. This display kept Everett's attention for a long time.

Everett enjoyed it all so much we stayed for over an hour. I took plenty of pictures because I didn't know how many were going to turn out. Here are a lot of them:

(The live display)



(The fascination with watching the live display...he could have stood here and watched the whole time we were there)








(A tractor)





(Trucks! Momma, Trucks!)









A nice fireman saw Everett's eyes grow big with amazement and so he lifted him up to the front passenger seat.




Everett enjoyed the dials and buttons the most.

Everett was one of the only kids I saw who was as excited about climbing around on the outside of the trucks as the inside.




Mail Truck





Mail Truck, front side





Prisoner transport vehicle



Everywhere we went, Everett looked for the live display. He's watching it now in the prisoner transport truck.



One of his highlights was the 50 cent bag of popcorn I got him.


2 comments:

Tori said...

Oh, that's so cute. I love the mental picture of Everett so excited and running around trying to figure out where to go first. Fun!

Natalie Sue said...

Oh wow! What a cool thing for a little boy! I LOVE the last pic of him in front of the fire engine!