Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ferberize

So who here agrees with the Ferber Method (letting your child "cry it out")?

Everett has been such a good and willing sleeper until lately when he will come to the door, banging, yelling, screaming, crying and anything else he can think of. This will last for a very very long time (our poor neighbors!). Usually he goes down fine initially but then he wakes up later and demands to either come out or for one of us to lay down with him (not something we indulge him with).

I hope this is only a short phase because I worry that the neighbors are bothered by it. I haven't had any complaints. I suppose I also don't want anyone to think there is child abuse going on here :).

I have been trying to let him cry it out because I don't want him to get in the habit of thinking he can get back up and just hang out with us. If he needs something, that is fine. But getting up just because he can or wants to isn't okay with me.

But I do have this nagging worry that he is scared or uncomfortable or something else that I can fix that he isn't able to tell me about. I guess time will tell on this one. Hopefully our neighbors won't want to kick us out by then!

4 comments:

Natalie Sue said...

Oh dear! That is so hard! I never know what to do, because I don't know if they really need something. For instance, right now Jayden decided to cry, and he's only been napping for 1/2 hr...not time to wake up. So do I ignore him or go and see what the issue is? With a newborn I was SO desparate, I let him cry it out. But my limit was only one hour. Luckily that is all he cried for. I loved the book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I learned a lot about their sleep needs and what to do for different sleep problems.

Unknown said...

Trust your gut and continue with the "crying it out." If he is in pain, you'll recognize the cry. When you figure out over the course of a week or two that it isn't working, switch then.

We are big fans with crying it out with Evy. It works for us and him.

But, boy, aren't kids great at picking cries that make your heart twist? And, as far as the neighbors, don't worry too much about them. Chances are they have kids and are only thinking, "that poor mom, I remember when my son did that."

Good luck!

Rebekah said...

Elise I had that same situation with Tanner and Sydnee in our apartment. So it was a lot worse with two. The whole year we lived there no one complained. I was waiting for someone from social services to come, but they never did. I started letting my kids watch a movie to go to bed or listen to cds.

Tori said...

Tough. I don't like crying it out because it makes me feel awful, but I do let her cry for a specific amount of time before getting her (usually five minutes unless it's a more urgent scream). But little babies are different than toddlers. So good luck!