Joel and I were having a discussion today in which we talked about what we would do if we made a million dollars annually.
(It's fun to dream when a big shopping trip is fifty dollars at the grocery store.)
"A basketball court," He said immediately. "We'll dig deep down past the basement." Lighting, wood floors, the whole works.
I joke a little about letting the kids ride their bikes down there in the winter (because, you know, this is such a real possibility. . .) and grin as he reacts badly to that idea.
"WHAT? You don't let kids take bikes down on a wood basketball court."
"No problem," I reply, trying to get a reaction. "We'll just put in that laminate vinyl flooring they have in elementary school gyms."
"NO. No way." He was adamant, and I enjoyed my joke.
But now it was my turn.
"Let's see," I muse. "If we made seven figures, I'd hire someone to clean the house." I don't care if our house is small, I would afford myself that luxury, I think.
"What?" Joel was incredulous. "You'd pay someone to clean? That is ridiculous. Why would you do that?" (as though I love cleaning.)
"Well, you get your massive court in the basement. I should get something too, and I pick house cleaners. What's so wrong with that? It would cost less than just the upkeep on your man cave."
"I don't know. It's the principle of the thing." Joel is very helpful around the house and harbors no notion that women should do all the cleaning. However, his view of "necessary" expenses is a little funny. Basketball court in the basement? Check. House cleaners? Why would we need those?
Really, this wasn't the point of my post. Joel goes out of his way to make sure I feel appreciated. My point is that it is fun to have dreams, even knowing that we will be perfectly content if (when) they never happen. My point is that money isn't overly important but it can get some fun things. My point is. . .ok, apparently I didn't really have a point. You just spent the last five minutes of your time reading a conversation of our thoughts. Feel better?
But really, I do want to ask: What would you do if you made a million dollars? Would it have something to do with your house? Would you travel? Would you buy an elephant? Practical or wild, what would you most want to do?
Pucker Up
4 days ago
6 comments:
Sadly a million dollars isn't what it used to be. By the time I paid my house off, car off, got Ben his dream Camaro and finished the dream backyard it would all be gone. Not to exciting at our house.
Oh, to dream. I like doing that, especially since we're ultra poor students whose debt increases significantly each day. I would travel first, buy a house and do landscaping, etc. Maybe one day when we're out of this mountain of student debt...
I love Joel's idea of an indoor basketball court. I would love to have a velcro room or a room full of pockets. Like pockets on the walls and stuff. I wouldn't mind having a house keeper either, but most of all... we would travel. If he was able to do his work wherever, we would go on vacations. Nice ones where we stay in hotels and not as nice ones where we work on building schools and stuff, so our kids can see how good they have it. Oh...and I'd have a fire pole from one level to the other in my multiple story house. :) And a boat with a tower. I could keep going, but I'll stop now. Thanks for letting me dream!!
We would go on trips and see new places, like europe, and antartica (for Devin since he wants to reach all 7 continents some day). I would probalby get a house keeper to. Not to do the normal pick up stuff but just the deep cleaning that doesn't get done. And someone to do the yard work.
I would have a craft/sewing room with lots and lots of supplies, a piano, big master bedroom/bathroom. Hot tub, A nice house, but not too big after all I would still have to clean most of it. I like Donnarae's fire pole Idea :) oh I don't know. Devin would probalby by a plane and get flying lessons so he could fly it. And a boat with all the toys, and membership to great golf courses.
I don't know, lots of stuff I guess. We would have to do lots of service so we wouldn't turn into mean people. maybe we would just give it all away. eh I don't know
If I got one million dollars annually, I would first clear my school debts and probably those of my families as well. Then save some of it. I would love to travel, but also want to purchase a house. But I would still want to work, just not full time of course so I can travel at my leisure. I would also want to do some charity work and probably start a foundation to assist others. I guess that is what I would do.
A house...a nice newer house in this area. After buying that, it'd all be gone...pretty sad.
Post a Comment