Joel likes to tease me that I and my family are always on some sort of "quest." My Dad is on a quest for the perfect pillow and the perfect pancake recipe. I am on a quest for the perfect whole wheat bread recipe, and the most absolutely perfect from-scratch brownie recipe.
I haven't had much luck with the brownie recipe (the King Arthur brand directions for whole wheat bread are pretty good). The brownies would turn out too cakey, too cardboardy, or too gooey.
BUT, I have realized that the "perfect brownie" means different things to different people. To me, it means a deep chocolate flavor with a dense, chewy texture. No frosting.
Then you have the cakey brownie fans. I know a few of you, and no offense, but I don't understand this one. If you want chocolate flavored cake, can't you just make chocolate cake? Or call the "brownies" chocolate cake? Isn't that essentially what it is? (Nothing wrong with a good chocolate cake, by the way.)
Also, there are the hardcore fudgey brownie fans. I used to think I was in this camp, but I realized I didn't like the texture as much. However, I can respect this group because the chocolate flavor does seem to intensify this way.
SO, I have good news! I finally found the PERFECT BROWNIE RECIPE. Why is it so perfect? It will make everyone happy. There are three separate versions to satisfy those of you with each preference.

(clockwise from top left: blondies, cake brownies, fudgey brownies, chewy brownies)
I made the chewy version last night and it was by far my best success. The flavor was deep and rich and the texture was right on.
The best part? I think my brownie recipe quest is over!
Wait, what's that? What's that, you say? You want the recipe? Oh. Well, HERE it is (the picture is from the same article). It comes from a magazine called "Fine Cooking" and is ten years old. Why haven't I seen it before, I wonder? FYI, I haven't used baker's chocolate. . .I just convert cocoa powder by adding oil to it, as per directions on the box. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I accidentally added extra oil to the recipe, which could change the texture. But it worked. Baker's chocolate would probably be even better, but I cook on whims and don't always like to have to get it beforehand.
And, I'm curious. What kind of brownies do you like? Let me know how it goes if you try out the recipe. I'd love to hear how the other ones are.
6 comments:
Oh. I am so glad they were good! I can't believe I didn't even ask you about it when I was over. I really should have had one, but I fall more into the cake brownie section. I'm fine just having chocolate cake though. I prefer it much more over brownies. :) Glad you found a recipe. I need to find one for Wheat Bread. We need to get the girls together and make bread at my house some time.
so i thought i had a favorite brownie type until my friend made these amazing brownies (from scratch) that were a chocolate bottom, chocolate mixed with cream cheese top and all mixed with snickers and raspberries.. now those were good brownies.
You forgot that Dad is on a quest for the perfect shower head and the perfect apple juice.
You forgot that Dad is on a quest for the perfect shower head and the perfect apple juice.
I like the Betty Crocker boxed brownies! They are crispy around the edges and gooey inside. And the best part is they are easy from a box. Yummy!
I love homemade everything. I feel better eating things when I know the ingredients. But when it comes to brownies, I'm with Rebekah, I have never found a recipe for brownies that I like better than boxed. I'll have to try your recipe, but brownies to me are best with walnuts!
Post a Comment