This week I bought a bushel of peaches for 15 dollars, so Everett and I have been on the hunt for a "really big pot." Really, I've just been hoping to find a big canning pot at a thrift store around here, but for simplicity's sake I just told Everett we were looking for a big pot. He was excited to search for it with me. He also told me (and anyone else who would listen) all day yesterday that we didn't find it. Where is it? He would wonder.
We went to many thrift stores over two days and finally found it at the 11th hour in an unexpected flea market on the way home from the last Salvation Army/Goodwill in our area. We walked in and there our pot sat, in fine condition with a price tag of 1.50. You can't beat that. I think I can say my first time at a flea market was a sucess.
BUT, we did find a few good things along the way to make it all worth while.
Cute dog halloween costume for Ashley: 3.00 brand new.
Fireman's hat for Everett's halloween costume that lights up: 75 cents
Three baseballs and a softball: 25-50 cents each. (We're trying to amasse a collection so we look whenever we're at a thrift store.)
AND, a neat little game called "Don't Break the Ice". Is anyone familiar with this game? I used to love it. I have been wanting to get it for Everett for a while now, so when I found it for 50 cents at a thrift store, having all the pieces in tact, I couldn't say no.
He has been thrilled. I think he was happier about this than anything else we might have found.
Ashley has liked it too. She is actually pretty good at it!
Now I have the beginnings of a thrift store shopping list:
Hot rollers
Cookie Sheets
Dutch oven/large oven pot with lid
Basically, we had a lot of fun exploring the stores. I think we have discovered a good winter activity. Joel will hate it, I think. He doesn't like collecting things "we'll just have to move."
I think once I get some mason jars I'll have to get bottling, after I pick up the canning rack/tongs/funnel kit from Wal-mart. I have some peaches in the freezer already. Once I get the peaches down, I'll take advantage of some of the local "canning" deals, like a bushel of apples for 8.00, or 20 pounds of canning tomatoes for 9.00. Cheap!
Any tips for me? Am I biting off more than I can chew?
4 comments:
I think it's so good your canning! Especially with such great deals. I love canning. I'm really wanting to do some salsa this year. We did some last year, and we just barely used the last bottle. My kids love " Don't break the ice" they play it all the time. I'm glad you had such good finds. :)
You are amazing at finding such great deals! I seriously can't believe all the things you find.
Canning sounds like so much fun! I wish I were there to can with you .. maybe you'll have to teach me!
Oh, and I love Joel's idea of collecting "things you'll have to move." Mike says the EXACT thing. Just thought it was funny :)
I am all for thrift stores, but the thought of hot rollers kind of grosses me out. You dont know whos head they have been on and if they had cooties or not!
Love it! I found a thrift store here that has the same odd pricing as that one in the DC area (uses the same tags and wax pencil). How do you figure a price $1.91 for something?
Post a Comment