Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Last Fun OR An Exercise in Restraint

Today, in a last-ditch effort to spend some quality time before Joel, the kids, and I leave for Indiana, we went to a fun park with Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Maddy, and Uncle Nick.

The kids were thrilled to be running around, and we had a lot of fun at a really fantastic park. Really, if you're anywhere near DC, Cabin John park is a great place to go.


The slide was a hit, as always.





The swings were a hit for Ashley, as always.





Obviously Aunt Maddy was a hit, as always.

Don't you think she and Ashley look a lot alike?




And, Everett got plenty of opportunities to practice turn-taking and patience. I'm sure he saw it exactly that way, as well.

First, things are going smoothly and everyone is having fun.


Yep. Lots of fun here.


Then, and you never know who starts the crowding and grabbing and the it's-my-turn-to-touch-that-random-thing-and-so-you'd-better-keep-your-arm-20-feet-away-please attitude, but it gets started. You all know how it goes.


And then starts the subtle maybe-mom-won't-notice pushing.

After a quick intervention, preferably before emotions run high. . .



. . .one person gives and reluctantly shares.


And soon everyone is having fun again.

End the day with a ride on a small train, and some people are in absolute heaven. I have said this more times than anyone cares to hear, but we'll sure miss DC!

2 comments:

Erika said...

So sad you're gone...but looking forward to your many adventures in Indiana. Happy you were able to have a fun day at the park before heading out.

Unknown said...

Whooo-hooo! I am excited about hearing how your life continues in Indiana. I always loved how Everett would look through his window at incoming or departing family/visitors. so cute.

Good luck!