Saturday, May 23, 2009

Time

I can't believe it's already Saturday! We have been busy, busy, busy around here. This is why:

We unpacked and organized all of our stuff.
We made several trips to Wal-mart to get some essentials (I have never been so excited to get a two-dollar trash can in my life.)
We managed to fit everything we own in 500 square feet of living space plus a small storage closet.
We walked up to campus, ogled all the buildings, and browsed the UND paraphernalia in the bookstore.
We have spent every spare moment out on the many slides, tricycles, and swings that are right out our door.
I got locked out of the apartment with the kids still inside screaming and so was able to test out the efficiency of the rectors.
I tested out our community center's exercise room, and got to "do stairs" and "ride a bike" for 6 miles, all while Everett was tuned into his own TV and playing with the toys they have there.
I visited our local Farmer's Market early this morning and had a great time talking with the vendors and selecting little plants to put in our garden.
We helped out in our community strawberry patch.
We signed up for, weeded, tilled (by hand), hoe-d, and planted in a 200 square foot garden. More seeds to go in on Monday as soon as they are ready to plant.

Whew! I guess that's why time has gone so fast. Sometimes I don't feel very busy when I stay home all day with the kids, so it is nice to have a lot of things to get done. Our garden will take up quite a bit of time, but Everett really enjoys playing around in the dirt, and Ashley certainly doesn't mind how it tastes.

I did show Everett various bugs and holding them in my hands so he could see them better. He was weirded out and didn't want anything to do with them unless he could see them on his own terms, in his own way. He spent most of his time in the garden calling out to me whenever he saw one crawling around in the dirt. When it inevitably disappeared, he would try to poke around and figure out exactly where it went.

Highlight of gardening for Everett? Bugs, the water hose, and putting the plants in the holes.
Lows of gardening? Having to stay near mom and seeing her get frustrated when he thinks it is a good idea to either move as s l o w l y as molasses when she asks him to listen to her, or run away wildy.

Highlight for Elise? Knowing we'll soon have many vegetables, including: cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, bell peppers, peas, beans, carrots, and basil, rosemary, green onions, and cilantro. Yum!
Lows for Elise? None yet, but get back to me when the weeding happens.


So, not that you asked, but that is what we've been up to. Tomorrow we're going to our South Bend ward at 11:30. We've already met some of the ward members who live here, and we're excited to meet more.

0 comments: