Friday, May 1, 2009

Pronounce-iation

You know how when you first start reading more difficult chapter books and you come across words you're somewhat familiar with--you get the gist of what they mean, but you're fuzzy on the pronunciation--and you kind of gloss over them and pronounce them however it makes the most sense to you at the time?

And you know how if you pronounce it incorrectly in your head enough times, when you finally find out the proper way to say it, you still hear it the wrong way in your head?

This happens to me all the time. Blame it on the fact that I liked reading.

One word I can never say right in my head is "plethora".

I know how it is pronounced, but every time I read it, my first instinct is to pronounce it "Ple-THORE-a." Another is lapel, which I seem to always read as "LAY-puhl."

Every single time! I haven't been able to stop myself. One of these days I'll actually say it out loud that way, and it will be a little embarrassing. . .

0 comments: