Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Everett

Everett is 18 months old today. We aren't celebrating or anything, but it has made me think about how different he is now than he was when he was 12 months old. I love it that he is getting bigger and is interested in more things, and I love watching him communicate with the world around him.

One thing that has changed a little is that Everett has become more snuggly. When he was a baby he was very attached to me, don't get me wrong, but he didn't necessarily like sitting still and definitely wouldn't cuddle with me if I asked. Now he loves to come up to me and sit on my lap or snuggle, and if we are walking somewhere he will lay his head down on my shoulder.

This also means that he loves to sneak into bed with us at night. I use a fan during the night (Joel doesn't like the extra cool air, but I love it nowadays) and it is pretty loud, so I have been leaving our doors cracked open so Everett can come get us if he needs us. At least once every night I will wake to his little body snuggling up next to me in bed and every time this happens I have to resist the impulse to let him stay "just this once". There is something special about your little one wanting to be close to you, and there is something peaceful about resting together. But I know enough to know that this is not a habit I want to have to break, especially considering Ashley's arrival in 5 weeks.

Still, it is reassuring to me that Everett wants to come be with me at night, too, and I secretly love it that he sneaks in to be with me. Fortunately he never makes the slightest fuss when I put him back to bed; he just lays down obediently on his pillow and drifts off, often before I can even lay a kiss on his little cheek. Then as I'm going to sleep I smile to myself and wonder how I could ever have been so blessed as to welcome this particular little child into my home.

0 comments: