Saturday, May 31, 2008

Lesson in Linguistics

Everett loves to try out new words and new sounds, and lately it has been the "ck" sound. He loves to play with "ck" words in his mouth, chewing them over as though they are taffy.

He also uses the same sound for more than one word, and he does this very often. I'll facetiously say that this is because he has inherited his father's desire for efficiency, but really I know it is because he doesn't care much about verbally distinguishing his vocabulary. If he knows what he means, and I know what he means, what is the problem, right?

These are a few of his similar and multi-functioning sounds:


  1. mmmmMMMMMmmmm: this is the sound a kitty, cow, and car makes, and he also says this when he is eating something he likes (or when he has something he likes and someone else doesn't, in which case he will say it right to their face).

  2. Duhckkkk: He loves the "ck" ending so he will drag it out. This is for duck, truck, and similar words, even if he doesn't know what they mean. He will also just say "cuccckkk" for cookie.

  3. Mah!: Everett says this when he wants me, milk, or more. The reason why there is an exclamation mark at the end of the word is self-explanitory, I think.

  4. "Djis": This works for Juice, Cheese, Jesus, and sometimes "this", although he is good about using the "th" with "this".

Well, there are more, but I'll leave it at that. He is saying tons and tons of words, but I am the only one who understands a lot of them. Whether this means I'm fluent in toddler-ease or Everett-ease, either one works for me.

0 comments: