I grew up with the best Father I could have asked for and every day I become more grateful for the man he was and is, and for everything I continue to learn from his example. My father was not big on lectures or words but he truly led by example, which was the most meaningful to me. He quietly went about his day, doing what needed to be done, with no complaint. He is (and always has been) a man of tremendous strength, character, and intelligence.
This means I also grew up with the great desire to marry someone who was of a similar caliber. I sit here today, reflecting on the person I did marry and feeling more grateful than I can properly express that Joel is even better of a man than I was looking for.
These are some of the reasons I am so grateful for Joel and for the Husband and Father he is (diaper-changing avoidance notwithstanding):
- He is very good at noticing how I am doing and asking how I am feeling, which is especially nice given my pregnant state.
- He is a man who is actually amazingly good at picking up "hints". I confess, this has made me a bit of a lazy communicator at times, but Joel is very aware of me and how I am feeling and what I would like. If he's not, he asks.
- If I were to ask him to do anything for me, he would do it simply and without hesitation.
- He wants to create a lifestyle in which our children will be very active.
- Joel is a man of tremendous integrity. The best part of this is that he doesn't do anything because he thinks someone is watching; he does what is right simply because he knows it is right. That is enough and he does not need any recognition.
- He does not have to be the center of attention all the time.
- He is a good spiritual leader of our home. When he reads the scriptures he usually always comes away with something interesting he has noticed or a question I wouldn't have seen about a verse I've read a hundred times. Often he will bring the Book of Mormon to me and say "read this verse," and I will read it, but try as I might, I see nothing as remarkable as what he is trying to point out to me. The depth with which he reads the scriptures constantly amazes me and I am grateful that he will be teaching our children these things.
- Even though Joel isn't one given to lavish words, he frequently tells me he loves me.
- Joel does chores around the house without me asking him to, most notably the sweeping and the laundry.
- Everett loves Joel because Joel is so interested in playing with him. Everett knows that Joel is his playmate and I am his comfort. I am just not as much fun as his daddy.
- Joel encourages me and gives me confidence in myself. Whenever I say "I would really like to be able to do such-and-such (like writing a children's book)," he matter-of-factly says, "well, why don't you?" I love this about him. He gives me a great amount of confidence.
There are many, many more, and I know this isn't interesting to anyone but me, but I thought I would get my thoughts down anyway. I feel tremendously blessed to be able to have Joel as my husband, not only for this life, but for Eternity. I try daily to make myself worthy of this blessing.
Since yesterday was Father's Day, I also had to remember my Father in Heaven. I feel so blessed to be a member of this church and because of that to have the knowledge that I do about Him. I am grateful for the relationship that I have with Heavenly Father, but I know that I need to do better with my prayers and scripture study in order to grow closer to Him. I also need to be better about showing my appreciation to Him--not just telling Him, but showing Him. I feel so blessed and I need to be available to help bring blessings to others.
I am so glad it was Father's Day and that I was able to celebrate it with the wonderful family that I have--my Father, my Father-in-Law, and my wonderful, un-beatable Husband. I am blessed that the two fathers in my life have been more than I could ever have hoped for.
1 comments:
That is such a neat post. Happy Father's Day! Aren't families wonderful? I guess that's whay it's the plan. What an amazing wife you are!
Post a Comment