Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Point of View

Well, it was fun reading Joel's post. I'll have to figure out a way to encourage him to write on here more often.

Everything went well with the delivery, even though the doctor wanted me to wait as long as possible since she was in surgeries all morning. Once Ashley was tired of waiting and got things moving she was born pretty quickly (I dilated 6 centimeters in 30 minutes--and yes, the contractions to get me there that fast were definitely not what I'd call fun) which I certainly did appreciate. Why drag things on if you don't have to?

I wanted to put some more pictures on here since Joel didn't really get any with her hat off. I was hoping that Ashley had at least a little hair since Everett was born with a pretty good head of hair, and she actually has more. I know Joel said she has less but we've determined that hers is longer and thicker (and I think it is a little darker). It may be wavy as well, but at this point it is hard to tell what it will do in the future.



I tried to get one with her eyes open (tricky with the camera lights). They are dark, but very, very blue, so maybe they will stay blue. It is a little hard to tell what they will do.


This picture shows her hair. It will be fun to see what it will do as she gets older, and it will be fun for me to be able to try pigtails and ponytails once it grows longer.


Everett enjoyed seeing Ashley in the hospital and was very fascinated with her. He kept wanting Joel to lift him up to see into the bassinet, and he would refer to her as "Ash". When I brought her home, however, Everett wasn't as excited about it. It isn't that he doesn't want her here, I think he just doesn't get the point of her. He is a little wary around her, which is fine for now because then he doesn't try to mess with her. I'm sure that will change faster than I'm willing.


I could tell that Everett really missed me while I was at the hospital (even though I only stayed for the minimum amount of time) because he has been very clingy since I have gotten home. It may have a little to do with the new baby around here but I think it has the most to do with the fact that I have never been gone from him like that before. He wants me to hold him all the time and he has many more meltdowns than he usually does. He also tends to get very upset when I leave the room. I know this is an adjustment period for him so I am trying to spend as much time as possible with him while Ashley is still so low-maintenance. It is a good thing newborns are so easy to take care of! It would be a lot more of an adjustment if they were born like toddlers. It has been a long time since there was a child in this house who was happy to just...sit.

Well, it has been nice being home. My mother made me a great welcome home dinner of Ableskievers. If you don't know what those are, you are missing out. Look it up! I feel pretty good and have been up and about doing things pretty well. I hate having to lay around all the time so I've been glad I have things to do.

Well, we'll keep you posted. Thanks for all of your support, and thanks to those of you who provide me with the entertainment of reading your blogs. I love hearing what everyone is up to!

8 comments:

Tori said...

Yay for being home. Congratulations, Elise! Ashley has tons of hair. It's way cute.
Ah, Ableskievers. Yum.

Amanda said...

Congrats Elise, Ashley is way cute. Hopefully Everett will be able to adjust soon to the new addition. Hey, would you mind sending me your recipe for ableskievers. I found a pan and I want to make them for Cody. He was interested in what they are. They are sooo good! Thanks for introducing them to us freshman year. I love them! Oh... also maybe your maple syrup recipe also. I remember it being delish!

ps - don't rush on emailing me. I know you're plenty busy, just whenever you have time. Congrats again.

Amanda said...

Congrats Elise, Ashley is way cute. Hopefully Everett will be able to adjust soon to the new addition. Hey, would you mind sending me your recipe for ableskievers. I found a pan and I want to make them for Cody. He was interested in what they are. They are sooo good! Thanks for introducing them to us freshman year. I love them! Oh... also maybe your maple syrup recipe also. I remember it being delish!

ps - don't rush on emailing me. I know you're plenty busy, just whenever you have time. Congrats again.

Jessica Brown said...

look at that hair! she is so beautiful! Way to go Elise and Joel!

Poor Everett, his whole world is changing, no wonder he is clingy!

Congradulations!

Unknown said...

Congrats! I especially love the picture with the headband. Can't wait to meet Ashley in person!

RebeckerOnline said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see her sometime next month. Hope that you are doing well.

Chelsea and gang said...

YAY ASHLEY IS HERE!! I wish I had thought to check your blog sooner I am so excited for you. She has more hair than Brook haha. I will have to call you to hear the gory details!!

Natalie Sue said...

OH, she is GORGEOUS! And she already looks so much like you, that's amazing. How much fun. I hope that all is going well and that you have a speedy recovery. SO let me get this straight- you were induced...did you get an epidural???