Friday, June 20, 2008

Movie and a Stinky House

Tonight Joel and I watched Dial M for Murder. It was really good and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Joel was hoping for a bit more of a suspenseful thriller (think Rear Window), but this movie fit my mood perfectly. There is something wonderful about old movies--the writers were not afraid to have the characters sit in a room and discuss something in detail for several minutes without changing the scene. It seems that when movies are made now there is a lot more pressure to put in more action and fancy camera work rather than focusing on the plot or what the characters are saying.

I also love starting a movie knowing that there will not be a scene I need to worry about fast-forwarding, and I like knowing that I won't end a movie feeling guilty about the excessive language that I really didn't need to hear (who does?). It just goes to show that it is possible to make a great movie without that kind of filth.


The only downfall to tonight was that I tried (in vain) to remove scorch stains from the inside bottom of two of my stainless steel pots by boiling vinegar in them. The reason this was such a downfall is that the vinegar smell quickly overtook every molecule of fresh air we had in this apartment and ended up being so strong that our eyes were watering and our lungs were crying. I had the all the window open, the stove top's hood fan going, and a fan blowing the air out or balcony door, but it didn't help much. I had to leave them going all night which meant that I had to turn off the air conditioning and the temperature in here got to a not-so-balmy 81 degrees.

This isn't that big of a deal of course, except that since I'm always extra-extra hot these days with my little internal oven, I'm kind of a baby about the temperature around me being too high. Just ask Joel.

Well, to the point:

Does anyone know a better way to remove scorch stains from the inside of some stainless steel pots? I have read that vinegar is a good solution, and it did help in one pot, but overall it didn't make enough of a difference to warrant the undesirable vinegar aroma that I'm sure will stick around through tomorrow.

If anyone reading this has any tips, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I'm throwing in the towel and giving up on having sparkly pots!

2 comments:

queenie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I heard that tomato paste does the trick. Something about the acidity in the tomato. Good Luck!