There are moments that make being a mother extra-wonderful, and it seems I have been experiencing these a lot lately. Maybe this is pregnancy hormones kicking even more into gear since Ashley's arrival is imminent, but I do think it has a lot to do with Everett getting older and able to do more things.
One thing we have done with him for a long time (ever since we got the toddler bed) is to kneel down next to his bed at night and pray with (for) him. We have taught him to fold his arms during a prayer, and while we haven't made him kneel down, he has done it anyway because he sees us doing it.
Joel was putting Everett to bed last week and Everett went over to his bed by himself and knelt down to say his prayers, even without Joel being there. Also, every morning before Joel leaves for work, we gather by the door and say a family prayer. Everett knows this and enjoys it (though of course he doesn't necessarily keep his arms folded the entire time), and often will go by the door and fold his arms when he sees Joel getting ready to leave.
Another thing I have been doing with Everett is singing a primary song after he lays down in his bed. Every time he lays down and I ask if he wants a song, he gets so excited all he can do is giggle and attempt to nod through his enthusiasm. It makes my heart swell every single time I see it. It is the most wonderful feeling to sing about Christ while stroking his thick hair and meeting his loving gaze. His eyes never leave me until the song is over, when he is happy to go to sleep and does so without a fuss (how did I get so lucky?).
Seeing a child learning about the Gospel little by little has really made me think more about what it means to be "like a little child". I have learned so much about my relationship with my Heavenly Father by watching him, and I am overjoyed to know that I will only learn more as the years go on and we experience different things.
These are the moments that keep me going if I am having a tough day. Fortunately I have not had many tough days with Everett, and though they will get tougher now that I'm adding another child into the mix, it is nice to know there are these small moments of reprieve and replenishment.
Pucker Up
4 days ago
2 comments:
Oh geez.. that made me cry. That is soo sweet. What a sweet little boy and what precious moments! Thanks for sharing!
Me too. Why are we so emotional? He is such a sweet little boy! Your such a great mom Elise!
Post a Comment