Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Persuasion

One thing I have been extra grateful for lately is that Everett now understands and can follow "if, then" statements. I have been so excited for him to be old enough to begin to understand explanations and such, and so for the past few weeks I have been happy that we are finally getting there.

For a few weeks now, if I want Everett to finish some of his dinner, I have been able to say, "if you eat a bite of peas you can have some more bread." He usually happily obliges because he knows that what he wants is coming up. I can do this with just about anything and it is wonderful, especially with diaper changing which he never seems to want to let happen anymore. This way, I can convince him to lay down and be still for me if he knows he gets to do something he wants afterwards.

I have a feeling I will be using these kinds of "if, then" statements heavily after Ashley is born. So far, they are working perfectly. Hopefully Everett won't decide to hit his terrible two's early and not listen anymore.

1 comments:

Natalie Sue said...

oooooooooo that is a great step! I bet it feels wonderful to both of you to get the things you want! Yeah!