Joel and I just received new callings in the ward. We used to be on the Activities Committee, but now Joel is the Athletic Director (but he is actually still on the committee) and I was called to the primary. Want to guess where?
Well, first let me back up and tell you about a conversation Joel and I had a few weeks ago concerning callings. I basically told Joel that I would be happy to have any calling in the church, but that it would be by far the hardest for me to be happy about accepting a calling in Nursery. Does this surprise anyone? I think it is because I am pretty much in nursery every day of the week, and I really look forward to going to church and being able to sit through a lesson without keeping track of a toddler (It's for two hours a week. Is that too much to ask?).
Can you guess where my calling is now? Yes, that's right, I was called to Nursery. I accepted, of course, but now my biggest job with my calling is figuring out how to be as happy about it as I want to be. I'll get there.
The only real problem with Nursery is that I am in there with Everett, and he is not yet used to me being in there with him and not for him. Yesterday he was incredibly whiny through the whole two hours, and there were a couple of times he was loudly crying a few feet away from me while I was busy tending to the other kids. People tell me that he is so mellow in nursery, and I believe them, but I also know that he is not as mellow around me because I am his mother.
The other issue with Everett is that since he is very shy around other people, I have really been happy that he has done so well in Nursery without me. I have been even happier that he has the experience once a week for two hours to be with people he is not that familiar with, and to learn to play with other children. He really needs that since otherwise he is with me all day, every day. Lately if we go to someone's house he doesn't recognize, he doesn't even want to go in the door. Once I get him in, he doesn't last very long before he decides he has to leave. He has done very well in nursery and I have been glad because I want him to learn to be more independent, especially because he is so shy, and especially by the time he goes to primary.
I have no doubt that Everett will get used to me being in nursery with him, and that I have to tend to the other children as well. I just wonder if he will still be less willing to interact with the other people while I am there. I really hope not. This is something he needs to learn, but I think it might be difficult for him.
I think we will both get used to this new nursery set-up, but I hope it doesn't take as long as I sometimes think it will. I will also have to get used to not looking forward so much to Relief Society every week. So, does anyone have advice? How do I get Everett used to the new situation in nursery? Do I just wait it out? Also, how do you become happier about having a calling you wouldn't have picked for yourself?
Mr. Robot
17 hours ago
4 comments:
I don't have any thoughts on how to make the transition easier right now--Everett may surprise you and fall in line quickly. I do think that you should ask to rotate with other nursery workers so you can attend RS at least once a month, maybe twice--ask for more nursery workers to be called if that is what it takes--there are enough kids to justify it. As far as having a calling you would prefer not to have, well, my lame thought is to focus first on a piece you do like/enjoy (Erik would say he likes being able to eat snack at church with the rest of the kids) and you'll find other areas you like until the kids and accompanying quirks worm a way into your heart (then you'll hate it when you are released). BTW, it is okay to countdown the minutes until the two hours are over, nursery can be a challenging place to work.
Selfishly, I am superpsyched that you have been called to nursery. Evy loves your easygoing, fun attitude.
If I don't get a full-time primary calling in the next few weeks, I would be willing to sub for you once a month. I remember having kids that little and how excited I was to go to Relief Society every week without them. I would have seriously cried if I had gotten a nursery calling at that time.
I do rotate with Ed to shadow Noe in primary, but when I'm free...I'm happy to sub once in awhile.
If I don't get a full-time primary calling in the next few weeks, I would be willing to sub for you once a month. I remember having kids that little and how excited I was to go to Relief Society every week without them. I would have seriously cried if I had gotten a nursery calling at that time.
I do rotate with Ed to shadow Noe in primary, but when I'm free...I'm happy to sub once in awhile.
Oh my goodness, I don't know. All I know is that would be hard. Especially when you finally get to go and enjoy RS. Maybe the one thing that can help is that they have that neat new manual that is really fun to teach from....but that only lasts a few mintues. Maybe your ward could do some sort of rotation? I read a talk in the Ensign about callings that said it is really okay to counsel with your leaders about improvements that can be made and especially about issues that affect your individual family. I don't know, just good luck! You are awesome to accept and to be so faithful!
Plus, you are so incredible with little kids! They will ADORE you!
I don't know anything about helping little ones like Everett transition. Hopefully he will surprise you. A lot of it just comes with growing up probably. Good luck!
Post a Comment