We recently had our very first snowfall. It barely counted; there wasn't enough to even begin to cover the ground. But there was a thin dusting on the cars, so when Everett and I ran errands I took the opportunity to show it to him. This was the first experience he really has had with snow, since he has been too young until now to start to understand what it is.
He was fascinated by it. We examined it, talked about how it is cold and white, and I showed him how to make it into a ball. I also explained to him that snow melts when he holds it, and that melting means it turns into water. I'm not sure how much of that he understood, but he acted like he got every word.
We were running errands, so every time we got out of the car he had to get a little handful of snow off the trunk of the car. He would clutch the snow all through the store until it had melted into a little puddle in his palm. He didn't care; this was all part of the experience to him. Then, true to his innate sense, he always knew when we were about to wrap the errand up and leave, so he always requested more snow. This was our pattern: out of the car, snow to hold in the store. Out of the store, snow to hold in the car. His exuberance was infectious and I found myself appreciating the snow more than I ever have.
Also infectious was his eagerness to share his findings with "papa". I explained that Everett could throw the snow at him when we got in the apartment, but he didn't seem to want to let go of his little clump of snow. Once I reminded him that it would melt and turn it into water, though, he was satisfied with keeping it in the freezer so he could look at it again later.
But I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that he
would hold it in his hands until it melted.
This is my very favorite part of being a mother. I love that I can begin to explain the world to Everett. I am so excited to be getting into this stage; I will be the authority on everything for the next few years until he wisens up. I have been preparing for this for a while--I love to collect kid-friendly informational books, so when my children ask me a question I do not know the answer to, I can help them look it up for themselves. I want my children to be inquisitive, and I want them to question the world. I do not want them to just accept that things just are, I want them to ask the whys and the hows.
I want them to learn from history. I want them to plan for the future. I want them to appreciate living things. I want them to appreciate the world, because it is interesting, but mostly because it is something their Heavenly Father made for them.
Moments like the ones Everett and I had with snow are the most precious to me. I am so grateful for them. They help remind me why I enjoy being a mother. I love seeing a concept click in a child's mind, seeing that light turn on and illuminate their little frame, right down to their fingertips which dance from delight. There is so much I have to look forward to as my kids grow older. I can afford to be a bit idealistic right now since my kids are so young, but I hope that at least some of what I want for them comes to fruition.
1 comments:
We got snow here too today. Everett and I could be friends. I love to eat snow. Sometimes I mix it with kool aid--good stuff.
Post a Comment