Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Photography

I recently set out to photograph Ashley so I could have an updated photo of her smiling. My Mother-in-Law also wants one so she can put it in her new Chrismas picture ornaments (don't worry, I'll send them to you today!).

It got me thinking, though. If I were to be a professional photographer (don't worry, I don't have aspirations that high for myself), I think photographing babies would be a lot of fun. You never know if you'll get a full-on grin, or if spit up will come flying at you just as you hit the shutter release. Do digital cameras have shutter releases? I don't know my terminology. For posterity's sake (or for my own amusement), here are some of what I imagine are common baby picture happenings.


The no-show-smile-but-at-least-it's-not-blurry-so-you'll-consider-keeping-it pose.


The Portrait of an Eyelid




The "do you smell something or is that just me?" picture



The deer in the headlights pose.
Endearing, but you weren't trying to get a picture of bambi.



The finally-I-sort-of-caught-a-smile pose.

Wait a second. No, that's the "I'm filling my diaper" pose.




Then you get the dewy innocent looks. . .
. . .which are nice, but you were going for an actual smile.

(but maybe when she is three you will like to look back on these and remember when these looks weren't attached to an "I don't know who drew on the wall with your lipstick, mommy.")



Then, finally, a SMILE that isn't too grimacy or dewy, with just the right amount of laughs.
But, at the risk of becoming overly ambitious, do you dare hope for another one?



Well sure, I guess you do.

3 comments:

Tori said...

Cute! I love the progression. Ashley is so darling. We're going in for family pictures next Saturday and I'm sort of dreading it/looking forward to it. At least I don't have to be the one in charge of figuring out poses and taking pictures!

michelle said...

Elise,
She is just too cute. I love your captions, they say so much for each picture.

Natalie Sue said...

These are such adorable pictures! And I love all your captions!! lol. You are so great. I just love ya! I love keeping in touch with blogging. Thanks for always commenting and beins SO super nice on my blog. You're the best!