Monday, December 1, 2008

The other day I read what President Hinkley had to say about the book And There Was Light, autobiography of Jacques Lusseyran.



"Recently, a man sent me a book. He is a doctor of philosophy in a great university. He told me that reading that book had become a significant experience in his life. I read it. It is the story of a boy in Paris who, in an accident, was blinded at the age of eight. It is an account of how when darkness surrounded him, there came a new light into his life. When he was 16 or 17, the Germans conquered France and German soldiers marched into Paris. This blind boy, a brilliant student, organized a resistance group. He and his associates ran an operation for getting information and circularizing it with a little newspaper they printed on a duplicator. The effort grew until they were distributing more than 250,000 copies an issue. Then he was betrayed by a member of the group, arrested, and sent to Buchenwald. There in filth and despair he lived with similar victims. He could not see, but there was a light within him that rose above the tragedy of his circumstances. He survived as a leader among those in that foul camp. The little newspaper he started became a great newspaper. I read that book and was lifted and strengthened by the story of that remarkable young man. If you cannot find good heroes and heroines for your children on television, help your children find them in good books."

(you can find the talk in which he discusses the book here.)


I think I am going to check this book out from the library. I would like to read it, especially during this time of year when I like to remember that there is so much in my life I take for granted. If anyone has read it, let me know what you thought of it. If you haven't read it, above is a pretty good recommendation!

1 comments:

Tori said...

That sounds like a really great book. That story sounds familiar, too. I'll have to check it out!