Saturday, January 17, 2009

Brrrrrrrrrrrr

Yesterday it was very cold here. This is definitely not a news flash to anyone who lives on the Northern or Eastern side of the United States, where a digit-freezing, cold front has stifled all outdoor activities in our areas.

Yesterday, after heaving a pitifully whimpering Everett home from the grocery store--his hands had caught a chill going out to the car, and yes, he was milking it--I decided to check the temperature. It was 11 degrees, which is respectable to any of us Nebraskans who have experienced an extreme wind chill, but they said it felt like -4. (Who are "they", and how do they tell what it feels like?) I didn't believe people when they said it would feel colder here with the humidity until my recent trip out to Utah, where it felt pretty nice even though the temperatures were low.

Just for fun, I also checked the temperature over yonder in South Bend, IN, where, in case you were wondering, Notre Dame is housed and where we will be living next year at this time. It was -14, but "they" said it "felt like" -30.

Fantastic.

Two questions surge to the forefront of my mind: One, how often does it get this cold there? Two, how long will it take me to lose my mind after being trapped inside for days with the kids?

2 comments:

Melissa and Aaron said...

It's totally freaking freezing outside - I agree. I don't know who "they" are, but I wish "they" would tell us some good news. Good news for me would be snow and school closings of course, but good news for you would be sunny, warm weather, right? Maybe in the near future we'll both get our wishes. Hopefully it doesn't stay this cold for too long!

Natalie Sue said...

that is soo cold!