Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cold Day Cravings



When it is cold and snowy or icy outside, I always crave a big pot of home made soup and a warm loaf of bread. I know everyone probably has a good bread recipe of their own, but here is a wheat bread recipe I have really enjoyed using. It is simple and wholesome, and it is perfect partnered with a dreary day. I am certainly not the world's best bread maker; it comes out badly more often than not, but it is nice to have this recipe to practice on.

(FYI: I always have better luck when I proof the yeast in the water and then add that mixture to the first ingredients.)

Yield: 1 loaf

Ingredients:

1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (see additional notes for a 100% whole wheat version)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast

Instructions:

1. *Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.

2. Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.

3. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening.

5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm! Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed.


Also, I usually add some potato flakes to make it less dense, and some oatmeal to give it some texture. Sometimes I'll throw in some flax seed for flavor, and if you put a couple tablespoons of molasses in there it also gives the bread a richer flavor.

2 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

Yum! That looks good. With Olivia's allergies I now make our own bread every week. I wonder if I could use soy milk instead of dairy? Hmmm. . .I like the idea of putting brown sugar in the recipe. That sounds delicious.

Pour Les Enfants said...

Thanks Elise! It looks and sounds delicious. Let me see if I can get all the ingredients in Switzerland. I will let you know if I make it and how it does.