
Yesterday the kids and I went to pick up a few groceries at Trader Joe's. At checkout, Everett asked for a balloon and the employee gave him a cheery red one emblazoned with TRADER JOE'S and a few flowers.
Seeing an opportunity before me, I took the time to point out the letters on the balloon after we had gone out to the car. All week I have been trying unsuccessfully to get Everett to identify the letter A (or a) in real life, but today he scrunched his mouth to one side and pointed happily at the right letter! I was very excited and I loaded on the praise--Everett was a little taken aback with my reaction. I could see the wheels turning in his head as he thought about my reaction, so I asked him a few more times. He was happy to comply just to see me get so excited.
This morning, the balloon only floating half as high as yesterday, I asked Everett to find the letter A again. He did! Quickly, happily, and proudly. I was pleased. He came back a little later with the balloon and said excitedly, "letters!" (sounding more like ehts!).
So, maybe I am being somewhat successful, given that my only goal with teaching him the alphabet is for him to learn that there is such a thing as letters, that they are everywhere, and that they are fun.
Pucker Up
4 days ago
2 comments:
Yay for "lightbulb" moments with kids. Maybe he doesn't know the importance of them yet, but letter recognition is awesome! I bet he's reading by age 4. :]
well if it's just a balloon he needs, you should get one each week and just write the letter on it with a sharpie. Then spend the whole week talking and learning about that letter. My favorite learning video is leapfrom letter factory. That's how both my boys figured it out.
Post a Comment