Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Frost

Today we had a good layer of frost on our windows for the first time this year. We don't really have shade over our car so this might be why we have escaped this so far.

Since it is so cold today, I thought I would share one of my favorite cold day recipes. I always seem to crave a good crock pot meal when it is cold. It is painfully easy (so easy you wouldn't want anyone to know, but you can't tell by the taste). I came up with it one day when I hadn't gone grocery shopping and had to improvise. There is probably an actual recipe for this out there somewhere, so let me know if you know of one!

Here's what you need:

CROCK POT
Chicken/sausage (ground sausage or the kind in a log form, sliced)
1 can stewed tomatoes (Italian style, regular, or anything you like)
rice
seasonings

So, this is what you do. Salt and pepper the chicken (sometimes I like to use a poultry seasoning or Mrs. Dash). Put the chicken and tomatoes in first and let them slow roast together. Save the tomato can juice for later, if you want. After the chicken is almost done, I cook the rice separately until it is also almost done. I'll usually drain some of the chicken juice if it is really oily, then add some of the tomato can juice. Then I throw the rice in the crock pot with everything else. Add more seasonings to taste, or just taste :). Let it cook together until you're ready to eat.





This recipe is really easy to alter, and it is a good way to get rid of bone-in chicken thighs if you have them. You can put in minced garlic, onion, chives, bell peppers, corn, or just about anything. It is perfect for a cold day, and it is very hands-free. The chicken is good in it, but the sausage adds a little more flavor.

0 comments: