Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow, Snow, Don't Go Away, Come Again Another Day

Yesterday we had a pretty good amount of snow fall. It's no 18 inches, for those of you in Utah, but seeing as (I believe) only 1-2 inches was predicted for this area, we did pretty well.


Everett has had some experience with snow before, but that was only when there was a light dusting on the cars, with none sticking on the ground. There was also snow during our recent trip to Utah, but I didn't bring any of his snow gear so I tried to not call attention to it.

When I told Everett we could go out and play in the snow, he was ecstatic. After I started getting his gear together, I realized that he didn't have any mittens, so I had to make some really quickly using some elastic and scrap fleece that we had on hand (this meant that since he saw me sew them he was excited to wear them, so I couldn't argue with that). They weren't very even or very good looking but they suited the purpose just fine, and they stayed on which was my main goal anyway. But between that and his dirty face, he looked a little like he doesn't have a mother.

And he looked a little like that boy in A Christmas Story with all of his snow layers on. You know the one I'm talking about? Didn't he have so many layers on he could move his arms or something?

Everett wandered around in silent wonder almost the entire time. I think he was so amazed that he didn't really know what to say. It was pretty fun to watch. And, the first thing I heard this morning after Joel left for work was "ahd? (Outside?) No? (Snow?)" How do you explain to a toddler that we can't go out for another few hours? I settled for telling him he had to take his nap first and that it is too cold out there now, but he hasn't stopped asking. It's pretty fun to see him this excited.



I tried to get Everett interested in the concept of snowballs. He was interested, but he was only interested in chucking them at the ground. He's pointing to it in this picture.


This is what Everett looks like when he's doing his mock "Oh! Where is it?" actions.



Everything is more interesting when it snows, especially pine branches that fling the snow wildly when you shake them.




Slush balls: another fun discovery, but mostly just for squishing.


Yes, Ashley was there with us. At least, I think she was. I can't quite tell what is under all those layers.



Q: How do you know when it's time to go get hot chocolate?
A: When your cheeks start to look like strawberries!

3 comments:

Pour Les Enfants said...

Oh so much fun! It looks like it was fun. Hopefully he will enjoy it more next time. Good job on the mittens. Would never have known they were homemade you hadn't said anything.

Lisa J. said...

Elise is there anything that you can't do? You are always doing fun things with your kids, and you are so talented. I hope that Joel knows how lucky he is!

Wayne Johnson said...

Elise when Jeremy was little, I didn't have mittens either. I used a pair of socks to keep his hands warm! Mary Susan