Monday, March 30, 2009

Year's Supply

Lately a significant portion of my mental power has been dedicated to building our year's supply.

Nope, not of food; of clothes for the kids. Since we're going to be starving students, I figured I would hit all the post-winter sales and get the clothes the kids will need for the upcoming year. I hoped to get everything, but I didn't think I would manage it.

But I have! I have everything all set for a year for both kids. Because I have been spreading it out, I have gotten some phenomenal deals and the entire lot hasn't cost much at all. The best purchases were ones I made at Ross and TJ Maxx. I was too cheap for the regular aisles and only shopped the clearance racks. . .and I found two pairs of 40 dollar jeans for Everett, totaling 12 dollars! I also found three pairs of shorts, totaling 15 dollars. They are all great brands, which is the best thing. I was so happy. The best part was, the only ones the stores had just happened to be the exact size that I needed.

The whole time I was getting kids clothes, I was worried about getting snow gear, especially for Everett. I have looked for winter coat sales but I didn't find anything that worked out. I was starting to get a little discouraged, but. . .

This past week, I was browsing the kids section on Craigslist, and I came across a listing for a parachute (you know, the kind with handles that kids use) and immediately remembered that some of the nursery leaders and I were talking about getting one. I contacted the seller and picked it up the next day.

And, guess what? When I walked in her house she had bags and bags of clothes she was donating. I am too shy to ask her about them, but for some reason she looked at me and held up a pair of size 7/8 boys winter snow boots.

"Would you like these as well? I'll just give them to you," She said.

Would I!?! Those are the exact size I was looking for! I happily accepted. Then she gave me a pair of winter snowpants and a coat that matched. She also threw in four pairs of knit/athletic shorts. All for free!

What was it that made her ask me about those particular items, out of all the ones she had in her house? They were exactly what I needed.

What a blessing! It was a small thing, but it really made me feel that the Lord is mindful of our family. That is more meaningful to me than the items I received.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

That is awesome. I am excited for you. I love it when cool things like that happen.

Unknown said...

Amen!