(Everett at his favorite tunnel near our house)
When my kids get older, I know there are a lot of things I will miss that they used to do. I also know there are things I will miss that I didn't expect to miss. Will I ever miss dirty diapers? Probably not. But these are some of the things I am trying to fully enjoy now:
~Everett and Ashley playing together without argument. Once in a while he will not be careful with her and she'll yell, but they generally get along perfectly. A few days ago I witnessed Everett and Ashley playing with cars. He gave her some to play with (as I always encourage him to do). She would handle them for a few minutes and hand them back to him. Everett would say thank you and give her something new. I watched in silence, not daring to disturb such a harmonious playtime. Someday these moments will be few and far between.
~Everett's audible excitement. Yesterday we got a package, and he was so excited you would think it was filled with a thousand little puppy dogs. It wasn't--it was filled with pieces to a stroller, but I was happy to hear his thrilled little exclamations.
~That Everett not only puts his used dishes and cups in the sink, and his silverware in the dishwasher, but that he does it voluntarily and happily. After dinner he even wants to clear everyone else's dishes. I'll have to remind him of this when he is ten and tries to refuse to help anymore.
~When I carry Ashley around, she loves to be looking everywhere, but she always has to be pinching some of my skin between her fingers. Usually she grabs the skin on my neck, but often it is my nose or my cheek. It is a sweet little comfort of hers, I suppose, and though it doesn't feel nice all the time, I know it is something I will really miss when she gets older.
~I'll also miss Ashley's excited laughs when she sees me get out the nursing pillow. So fun.
~I'll really miss Everett's willingness to help clean. He loves to help clean things up, especially if he can use a paper towel. If I start cleaning something, it doesn't take long before he has wandered in and is trying to help me.
~Also, I'll miss Everett's excitement about cooking. Maybe this one will not ever go away. But it is one of the things we love to do together, and it makes me happy to see him experiencing all the different foods in all the different stages. He loves to steal little bits of dough, and he'll run away with it like a fiend if I've caught him tasting it when I have already told him not to.
~This will last a few more years, but I will miss Everett's fascination with everything. The other morning I showed him dewdrops on the grass, and he has been looking for them ever since. I love it that he is so thrilled with all the things I take for granted, and I try to remember this so I can stop and look with him.
~Also, I love that Everett loves this game we play where he stands a few feet away from me, I count to three, and he runs into my arms for a squeeze. He will do this over and over and over, and has learned to give very good squeezes.
~One last one about Everett: He gets very excited when he hears Ashley wake up from her nap. He often hears her before I do. He will tell me she's awake, and we'll go to the bedroom door, count to three, and dash in to get her. She is often as thrilled to see him as he is to see her, and a grand giggle-fest begins between the two of them.
Well. Anyway. If you've made it all the way down here, I'm impressed. I know this post is 100% self-indulgent, but I like to record these thoughts when I have them because I know I'll forget them. Is there anything I'm missing? What are some things some of you have missed about your children without realizing you would?
~Everett and Ashley playing together without argument. Once in a while he will not be careful with her and she'll yell, but they generally get along perfectly. A few days ago I witnessed Everett and Ashley playing with cars. He gave her some to play with (as I always encourage him to do). She would handle them for a few minutes and hand them back to him. Everett would say thank you and give her something new. I watched in silence, not daring to disturb such a harmonious playtime. Someday these moments will be few and far between.
~Everett's audible excitement. Yesterday we got a package, and he was so excited you would think it was filled with a thousand little puppy dogs. It wasn't--it was filled with pieces to a stroller, but I was happy to hear his thrilled little exclamations.
~That Everett not only puts his used dishes and cups in the sink, and his silverware in the dishwasher, but that he does it voluntarily and happily. After dinner he even wants to clear everyone else's dishes. I'll have to remind him of this when he is ten and tries to refuse to help anymore.
~When I carry Ashley around, she loves to be looking everywhere, but she always has to be pinching some of my skin between her fingers. Usually she grabs the skin on my neck, but often it is my nose or my cheek. It is a sweet little comfort of hers, I suppose, and though it doesn't feel nice all the time, I know it is something I will really miss when she gets older.
~I'll also miss Ashley's excited laughs when she sees me get out the nursing pillow. So fun.
~I'll really miss Everett's willingness to help clean. He loves to help clean things up, especially if he can use a paper towel. If I start cleaning something, it doesn't take long before he has wandered in and is trying to help me.
~Also, I'll miss Everett's excitement about cooking. Maybe this one will not ever go away. But it is one of the things we love to do together, and it makes me happy to see him experiencing all the different foods in all the different stages. He loves to steal little bits of dough, and he'll run away with it like a fiend if I've caught him tasting it when I have already told him not to.
~This will last a few more years, but I will miss Everett's fascination with everything. The other morning I showed him dewdrops on the grass, and he has been looking for them ever since. I love it that he is so thrilled with all the things I take for granted, and I try to remember this so I can stop and look with him.
~Also, I love that Everett loves this game we play where he stands a few feet away from me, I count to three, and he runs into my arms for a squeeze. He will do this over and over and over, and has learned to give very good squeezes.
~One last one about Everett: He gets very excited when he hears Ashley wake up from her nap. He often hears her before I do. He will tell me she's awake, and we'll go to the bedroom door, count to three, and dash in to get her. She is often as thrilled to see him as he is to see her, and a grand giggle-fest begins between the two of them.
Well. Anyway. If you've made it all the way down here, I'm impressed. I know this post is 100% self-indulgent, but I like to record these thoughts when I have them because I know I'll forget them. Is there anything I'm missing? What are some things some of you have missed about your children without realizing you would?
0 comments:
Post a Comment