Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Un-challenging Challenges

{Thanks to all those who commented about Family Home Evening. You've given me some good ideas; I am really looking forward to my kids getting older and being able to understand more. It will be a lot of fun.}

Recently I re-sleep-trained Ashley. I've swaddled her since she was a little baby, and while this has worked beautifully and flawlessly, now she is able to squirm out of her wrappings with little effort. If I really want her to go to sleep on her own, even with a little fussing, it is more difficult for her since she has been used to sleeping in this very particular way.

A few days ago I decided I was going to bite the bullet and get this done. So, I started cold and just laid her down with a blanket over her. Even though Ashley is very agreeable, I expected this to be somewhat of a hefty process.

Not so! The first time, she fussed for maybe 10 minutes and went to sleep. Mind you, we're well past the standing-up-in-the-crib-but-can't-get-back-down stage, which makes a huge difference.

The second time, she fussed for five. The third time, she let out a little peep to convey her displeasure, but kept quiet and went right to sleep.

Now, once in a while she will fuss for a few minutes before resigning, but generally it is very easy to get her to sleep. Put her in the crib, stroke her face, tell her to go to sleep, and leave. One, two, three, four. That's it. And it's been painless.



I love sleeping babies. I look in on her at least once every time she naps.


I don't know what I did to deserve a baby this good. I don't think I do deserve her. In fact, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

But it hasn't yet. I think she would even be perfectly happy to be left to her own devices all day long with the exception of meal times. She loves me, she loves to eat, and she loves Everett, but she also loves playing by herself.



And she looooooooves this doggie.






The older Everett gets, the better it seems he likes his sleep. I found him like this after spending 20 seconds putting Ashley to bed. He always goes to bed really well and knows he has to stay there. Nap times are a breeze.

No, I haven't done anything special. We are very strict with our bedtimes, but I know many people who are strict and whose kids still struggle with sleeping. We're an anomaly. I keep telling this to Joel, but he just says that it is the Johnson genes kicking in. Once in a while Joel talks about seeing his dad come home from work every day and lay across the bed, face down and shoes still on, for a quick nap before dinner.

Actually, what am I saying? I hear this every time Joel wants to go take a nap. All of you who knew Joel in college know that he likes his naps. The day I came home from the hospital after having Ashley, I spent time caring for Everett while Joel took a nap (but in his defense, I did have a very easy recovery).

Hee, hee. No hard feelings, honey. I just want to see if you've made it this far into my post. But Wayne, I'll have you know that you've given your son enough fodder for a lifetime of napping justification. I'm sure Everett's wife will be saying the same thing to Joel some day!

All things considered, I am very happy with the current state of sleep in my house. I still get up 1-2 times a night with Ashley, but it is painless compared to what it could be. AND, this gives me the leverage to have Joel be the one to get up with Everett. Win-win, I always say.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

I am strict at bedtime too. My kids go down at 8 and are asleep by 8:15. But they are early risers. Tanner has been getting up between 5:30 and 6 since he was 4. Oakley has got this internal timer too. I dont even need to set an alarm. She comes in every morning and 6 and tells me to wake up. I dont need a nap like the rest of my family (now that I am pregnant I do) but I do miss sleeping in.

Lisa J. said...

It sounds like Joel is a lot like Jeremy. The day I came home from the hospital with Tessa Jeremy took a long nap then went into work.