I have the ability, like most of you who read this blog, to simultaneously carry a baby carrier, several bags of groceries, a diaper bag, purse, and lead Everett into our apartment. I know I'm small, and so I know I probably look pretty ridiculous when I'm doing this, but truthfully I can manage it all just fine.
It usually happens that when I am managing all of those things, people I pass give me double-takes followed by offers of help. I appreciate the thought; it is very kind of them to take notice of me, but what I really appreciate is how they address me.
"Ma'am", they say, "Would you like some help with that?" or "Would you like me to get that door for you?"
Very kind. Very well-meaning. But what gives me a little secret thrill is that they address me as "Ma'am" rather than "Miss".
Is this silly of me? Probably. But it makes my 23 year-old self feel a little more substantial.
Pucker Up
4 days ago
3 comments:
It is nice to be called "Ma'am," but I'll admit that it kind of makes me feel weird once in a while. Of course, it makes me feel better than when people 10 years younger than me call me "hun" or "honey" or "sweety" when I'm close to 40 years old. Ha. Maybe I should take it as a compliment.
You know that I hurried and clicked on the blog title of this thinking it might about wanting more help in nursery and so it got me worried. Whew. (-: Though I'm sure it would be nice to have more help.
That's awesome! Ma'am!
lol!
Post a Comment