Tonight we had a very brief family home evening lesson on the Sacrament. In a way, it is kind of nice to do the lesson with a toddler because it means there is usually less work on my part, but we do have to end it quickly, or inattentiveness will turn into squirming which will turn into yelling.
But, all of this got me thinking. Because our lessons are so short, and we go a week until the next one (maybe this is what we should fix?), I don't know how much Everett ends up getting out of them. I realize this isn't always the point; it is just important that we build the habit and spend that time together with no distractions, but I can't help wondering if there is a better way.
Then, I had an idea. What if we did the same lesson every week for a month, maybe building on it a little each time, but keeping it basically the same from week-to-week? Do you think this would make a difference? It would certainly simplify things for me, that is for sure--and I admit, this is a tempting reason to do it.
We had a lesson a couple of weeks ago on praying, and I think Everett forgot all about it pretty quickly. Would it make a difference if we spent a whole month on the subject, even bringing it up during our daily activities?
Part of me thinks it would. What do you think, those of you who are in this stage or have been here before? Is this a pointless idea or might it have some merit?
Mr. Robot
17 hours ago
5 comments:
What he is getting out of it, is the time. If you stop, he might notice, he might not. coloring pictures and singing songs is great. We do a theme month. We do the same scripture and same song with a lesson based on the same theme. Mine are just old enough to get anything out of it. They notice if we miss it.
Repetition is good. I like Katrina's monthly theme or maybe you could have a follow-up from the nursery lesson. We don't do FHE on Monday nights but every night we read from the Book of Mormon with pictures put out by the church and we sing a song from the Hymn book. Anytime is a good time to talk about the gospel.
When my kids were little always picked a theme for the month. This included FHE and scripture reading. We would only read one verse a day because that was the attention time frame. We would pick a topic such as prayer and read through verses listed under that topic. FHE lessons also were on prayer that month. I think it helped the kids to focus on one topic so much. It also made my life easier because I knew what we were focusing on and I didn't have to fish around for a topic. Good luck!
I think this is a Brilliant Idea on so many levels! I am going to start doing that with Makoa!
I like the idea of repeating! I am also going to start repeating the lessons that they learn in nursery. I have the nuresery manual and the NEW one is AWESOME!
Post a Comment