Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Firsts

A friend of ours had a birthday today, and to celebrate, a bunch of us met at a locally famous frozen custard place. It was delicious, but was made even better by the half price student discount. Yum! In case you were wondering, I had vanilla in a chocolate-dipped waffle cone, Joel had a lemon glacier with raspberries mixed in, and Everett had. . .

His very first ice cream cone. I made sure he had vanilla so it wouldn't stain his shirt. I was just glad he can't read all the flavor options yet.



The anticipation. . . .




The ice cream softens up faster than you can eat it!




Want some, Mom?



Mmmmmmmm.




And, typical of Everett, he had to wipe off his hands and his shirt when he was done.





But, the biggest thrill was not the ice cream. It was the ants, which were running around in all the sidewalk cracks. It was even more fascinating to them once I showed them how the ants were carrying little crumbs. I love this about kids. I love harnessing that natural curiosity and helping them become more excited about the world around them. It is sad when they lose interest in learning. Hah, but that is a whole other post, isn't it?




Everett was not the only one who was thrilled by this.




These are the kids of the people we came with. When they weren't looking at the ants, they were putting rocks on the ants or running around like sweet little hooligans. I loved it. We loaded them up with sugar and then let them burn it all off until bed time. Perfect.




Ashley had fun, too. When she wasn't sampling everyone's ice cream, she was climbing around by the table. It must have seemed like a big fort to her.





Hi, Mom!
She is getting so big. I can't believe she will be a year old at the end of the month.

1 comments:

Rebekah said...

I cant believe she is going to be one. I have never even met her. I also cant believe that was Everetts first ice cream cone. You are a mean mom:)