Saturday, June 13, 2009

Week in Review

We've done a few fun things this week, and as always, we have the pictures to prove it!

First up was the children's health museum, which we went to for free with some friends thanks to a pass from the library. It was a nice diversion, as our building's water had been shut off for the day while maintenance installed low-flow shower heads. I would have rather kept the old one, but hey, no one asked me!


They had a cute little grocery stand. I suppose this was to encourage healthy eating or something. All Everett knew was that there was a cash register and a little shopping cart, which he began filling right away. Everett loves grocery shopping.




Ashley liked it, too. Everett just liked having a customer.






Of course, Ashley quickly migrated to the big indoor slide and tree house. What fun!




You can't tell, since the camera didn't pick it up, but this screen is actually a projected game where you can play ball games, and the ball responds to the movements your shadow makes. I can't remember, but I think they were playing volleyball here.




And here was a giant floor game. You could play games like pong, or you could step on musical instruments. Here they have guitar strings, drums, and a piano.




Needless to say, it was a hit!



But we can't forget about the larger-than-life "operation" game, complete with buzzer sounds when you hit the edges.




It was pretty fun. I don't think Everett has a clue what the lung is or even that he has one (yeah, try explaining all that to a two year old), but it was fun to watch him put the pieces in.



LATER this week, we went strawberry picking. At 98 cents a pound, and after being told the kids could eat as much of the sun-ripened fruit they wanted, we were set.



Ashley was especially content to sit amongst the bushes and eat as much as she wanted. She figured out pretty quickly what was good to eat and what wasn't.




They gave Everett his own little box, which he happily filled. When I told him he could eat all he wanted, he was thrilled.


After about an hour, Everett started wandering. I told him he needed to stay by us, and next thing I knew, he was a little ways away laying down in the grass. I let him stay since he was so happy, but when we were done and I came to get him, I realized that he had found a mud puddle! No wonder he was so happy to stay over there.





What fun. His shirt was completely covered, and we won't even talk about his hands, but I am glad he had a good time.


The plus? All these fragrant strawberries. We filled this box all the way up, and now I have lots in my freezer, just waiting to be turned into jam. Tonight some friends and we are having an ice cream party with fresh strawberries as a topping.


And then, last night we let Everett stay up a little later and watch a movie with us. It was fun for him to have some time with us all to himself. I checked Shiloh out from the library along with some sign language videos and a potty training video, just for fun. Much to Joel's chagrin, Everett insisted on watching the potty video first. I wish I had a picture of Joel's expression, but I don't, so you'll all just have to imagine it.

Some popcorn and graham crackers later, Shiloh was over and Everett went to bed relatively easily.

What a week! It was satisfying and fun. I wonder what we'll do next week?

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

I am jealous. I used to make strawberry and raspberry jam every summer, but havent in years. The fruit is just always to expensive.

Pour Les Enfants said...

Yum, yum. Oh I miss my fresh fruit picking locations in the DC area. I need to find them in Switzerland, but my guess is that they are really, really expensive. Oh well.
It sounds like you had a great week. The museum sounds great and you guys are making lots of friends really, really quickly. So happy for you.

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Oh my, that strawberry place sounds awesome! I wish I could have come with you!!

I love the picture with Ashley and the strawberries all over her face. Totally priceless.

Let's get together this week!