Today marked the second Father's Day we've celebrated all by ourselves. We did try to make it a little extra special, though.
Joel got to sleep in this morning. This is big because he is always the one to wake up with the kids.
He got woken up to a breakfast of german pancakes and strawberry jam.
Everett gave him the gift of going to church today all by himself. Being sick will do that to you, every time. But, the kids and I did have fun getting dinner ready!
Joel got to sleep in this morning. This is big because he is always the one to wake up with the kids.
He got woken up to a breakfast of german pancakes and strawberry jam.
Everett gave him the gift of going to church today all by himself. Being sick will do that to you, every time. But, the kids and I did have fun getting dinner ready!
(watermelon, bacon-wrapped chicken shish-kabob with bell peppers, and asparagus)
Plenty of summery foods. I hope they enjoyed it even though the asparagus was grossly overcooked. Blech.

Ashley didn't care; all she wanted was to wolf down a hunk of watermelon. It's like watching a piranha; she gets her little teeth in there and strips it all the way down to the green in no time at all.

Of course the boys had to have a wrestling match after dinner, which is always fun to watch. Everett loves wrestling, but only when he thinks he's winning.

All in all, a great day. It has been fun to read about everyone else's celebrations. I feel blessed; I have the best father I could ask for. He is loving, always on top of it, and would do anything for us. I have benefited more times from his sacrifices than I deserve. Even though he was never a big lecturer, we always understood his expectations, and I always remembered the few times he did have something to say.
And, thanks to Joel, I also have the best father-in-law I could ask for. I felt comfortable with him from day one. His sense of humor and easygoing manner are qualities I value tremendously. His ward members are blessed to have him as their bishop.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much I love, respect, and admire Joel. He is like his dad in many ways, and I always tell him that if he grows up to be just like him I am a lucky person. The best thing about Joel is that he doesn't do the right thing because people are watching him; he does it because he knows it is right. Likewise, he isn't a good father because he thinks people are keeping tabs on him; he is a good father because he accepts that responsibility, and he loves his kids.
Joel is the ultimate family man--he would rather be home with us than out with the guys every night, and he always tries to make sure I am happy.
I love you, honey.
0 comments:
Post a Comment