A couple of weeks ago I went to the store and picked up some packages of frozen fruit (berries) for Everett to eat, because I am worried he is not getting enough fruits and vegetables. It is hard during the winter season because either the fruit is too expensive or the quality is very poor, so we don't buy as much as we do in the summer. Thank goodness for oranges, at least!
But Joel saw the raspberries and wanted some, and I told him they are only for Everett because he is a little boy who needs his nutrients. Joel looked at me and said "well, I'm a growing man who needs his nutrients".
Okay, maybe he's right. Why is it that I completely forego my own nutrition and focus on Everett's alone? I am pregnant, after all, and I should take better notice of what I put into my body, but I tend to lose sight of that with a growing toddler running around the house.
I see articles all the time about eating flaxseed oil and blueberries and all sorts of other foods you find at a whole-foods market, and it makes me wonder if I would consider eating those kinds of things if we had a limitless grocery budget. Food is so expensive that I don't think it is practical for us to spend twice as much a week to go purely organic or to go to health food stores and buy all of that specialized stuff. 3 dollars for 4 ounces of blueberries? That is so expensive (but a nice treat).
So, we'll just stick with whole grain bread and frozen fruit, and hopefully we'll end up with enough nutrients in us!
But Joel saw the raspberries and wanted some, and I told him they are only for Everett because he is a little boy who needs his nutrients. Joel looked at me and said "well, I'm a growing man who needs his nutrients".
Okay, maybe he's right. Why is it that I completely forego my own nutrition and focus on Everett's alone? I am pregnant, after all, and I should take better notice of what I put into my body, but I tend to lose sight of that with a growing toddler running around the house.
I see articles all the time about eating flaxseed oil and blueberries and all sorts of other foods you find at a whole-foods market, and it makes me wonder if I would consider eating those kinds of things if we had a limitless grocery budget. Food is so expensive that I don't think it is practical for us to spend twice as much a week to go purely organic or to go to health food stores and buy all of that specialized stuff. 3 dollars for 4 ounces of blueberries? That is so expensive (but a nice treat).
So, we'll just stick with whole grain bread and frozen fruit, and hopefully we'll end up with enough nutrients in us!

1 comments:
I so hear you. What is it with coastal states? They are the ones that live closest to the ports. You would think it would be cheaper?
Post a Comment