***Disclaimer: for some reason I can't get it to post with the paragraphing I had in it, so you'll have to read this in a big glob of text. Oh well!***
HAPPY POST-VALENTINE'S DAY!
Let me start by saying that I enjoy all things romantic, but since I've married an accountant I have the understanding that if I want to make a big deal about this day, I should take matters into my own hands. Doesn't matter--I enjoy planning surprises and thinking of things to do for someone I love. It sort of makes the holiday for me. So....my plan was two-fold:
1) Wake up early and make German pancakes for Joel, cut them into hearts with these cookie cutters that I have, and drizzle them with strawberry syrup, then sneak into the bedroom and whisper sweet nothings until he woke up and partook of my excellent meal.
2) I had reservations at several restaurants for a late-ish dinner, and a babysitter for Everett. I did not know exactly when Joel would get off work, and I didn't know if I would have to drive downtown and pick him up, so I waited for his call to tell me he was on the shuttle home and I would need to pick him up near our house at "x" time. Then he would choose a restaurant I reserved and we would enjoy a lovely dinner together.
This is how it all played out.
Part One:
[setting: sunlight streaming in through the blinds, Elise and Joel snoozing away while the alarm clock displays the time 7:23]
Elise: (wakes up, realizing her bladder is the size of Mount Everest, notices the sunlight in the room, and turns hazily to look at the digital clock) "Gaaah! Honey! You have to get up and get ready for work!"
Joel: (jerks upward, sees the clock and jumps out of bed) Oh! I must have forgotten to set my alarm clock last night!
Elise: (races to the bathroom before she realizes that it is too late to make breakfast)
. . . Well, you get the idea. I did end up making him some toast with jam that he took as we were leaving to take him to the shuttle.
At least the Jam was red.
But, dinner was great and it was fun to see Joel coming up to the car and asking (with a smile playing on the corners of his lips) "where's Everett?". Where was Everett? That's right, safe and sound with the babysitter while I, the sneaky wife, saw my scheme fall into place neatly.
We went to Sakura Steakhouse and sushi bar, which is a teppanyaki-style dinner, so it was fun to see our meal cooked in front of us with such flair. The chef could spin the eggs with his spatula, toss them high in the air (still spinning) and catch them again without breaking either the shells or the spin. I thought that was pretty impressive. Maybe if I learn to cook like that my children will always want to eat what I make. The only disappointment Joel had was that they didn't give us the sushi menu since we were in the "show" room and away from the bar area. That, and the fact that I was trying to ignore a pimple the size of Jupiter that had stubbornly taken up residence between my eyebrows.
But the whole night was fun and since we had extra time we ended up wandering around Barnes and Noble for a little while. So fun.
So, for all you men out there whose wives are disappointed in the lack of Valentine's activities you planned, this is how it is done.
2 comments:
Elise, you are amazing. What great ideas! And so true... we just have to take matters into our own hands on Valentines Day. Sounds like yours turned out wonderful. What a great surprise!
LOL! That is so funny that breakfast didn't play out. I know if it was Jaron he would appreciate the toast just as much! Sounds like a fun date!
Post a Comment